I wanted to make a fireweed and blueberry recipe inspired by two of my favorite harvests in Alaska. Posed with the question of what might be best, muffins came to mind. This recipe offers a plump and super sweet muffins.
Blueberry Muffins w/fireweed juice
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 tsp tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup fireweed juice*
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen blueberries, thawed)
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Mix eggs, fireweed juice, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Use a spatula to gently fold in the blueberries.
- Cover this mixture with a towel to allow the batter to thicken for 15 minutes. While the batter is thickening preheat your oven to 425° F.
- Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line pan with muffin liners. After your batter has thickened fill the wells of your muffin tin to the top.
- Bake for 6 – 8 minutes at 425° to produce a dome shape atop the muffins, then change the oven temp to 350° while still baking for another 20 – 25 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the muffin pan.